This post originally was posted on the IBM Asset & Facilities Management blog and was written by Vito DeMalteris.
The Asset Life Cycle is an important process to monitor for any industry. All asset owners make some attempt at monitoring this cycle in order to develop enlightened, informed decisions regarding maintenance strategies, spare parts requirements, operational procedures and repair/replace options. The key requirement in making these decisions is knowledge and information. Some of this will come from the manufacturer, some from user experience but the most significant source is from the operating and maintenance history of the specific asset. As you read this document, review the features in theTransportation page.
Maximo for Transportation provides significant detail related to the asset history. The asset application contains information related to that specific asset so that it is made readily available for the user, and in one location in Maximo. Information about warranty coverage, a significant process in the transportation industry, is displayed so that the user will always know what the warranty status is for each asset without having to look for it in the warranty applications.
Advanced Metering capabilities enhance the usage and Preventive Maintenance processes to further the maintenance strategy for your assets. Each asset record has a history option which provides a view into the asset including Work, Preventive and Predictive schedules and history, meter readings history, status change history, condition status history, move history, usage history for motor pool assets, Telematics reading history, activity history, axle position reading history and a chronological history of activities. All of this information is made easily accessible.
Utilizing the Depreciation Schedule provided in the Asset application allows the user to track the monetary value of this asset up to the current date. This information, used in conjunction with the maintenance and meter history of the asset, can be used to help make the repair/replace decision that is inevitable in the transportation environment.
To help the organization prevent unnecessary work, Maximo for Transportation will display any recent or repeat repairs on the asset whenever a work order against that asset is created. This feature not only helps eliminate duplicate work orders but also helps identify recurring problems which may be an indication of other issues related to the asset, its environment or perhaps training for the technicians performing the work. All of this helps extend the asset service life by pushing valuable information to the user. In summary, Maximo for Transportation provides detailed information concerning the asset to enable the user to extend the asset life cycle and provide the data needed when the time to replace that asset is near. Hear this information for yourself from one of our Transportation clients (Royal Boskalis Westminster). Link to video.
IBM Maximo Industry Solutions for Transportation
Provides organizations with best practices to help improve the productivity of critical transportation assets.
- Complete solution for managing all transportation asset types, including fleets of cars, trucks, buses, locomotives and rail vehicles, aircraft and vessels, adding capabilities over Maximo Asset Management.
- Advanced Asset Management capabilities for equipment status, meter change out and history, meter import, position codes, serial number changes and warranty recovery.
- Enhanced Work Management capabilities for campaigns, industry codes, labor certification, maintenance alerts, mechanic’s clip board and outside repair orders.
- Extended Inventory Management features for cycle counting and fuel tank management.
- Leveraging Service Oriented Architecture (SOA) on a Java 2 Enterprise Edition (J2EE) certified internet platform
- Version 6.2 adds new product enhancements for life cycle costing, motor pool, labor qualifications, driver logs, fuel and fluid management and asset templates.
- Industry specific capabilities
- Rational consolidation
- Internet architecture
- Risk Management
- Provides industry specific capabilities to support transportation business requirements, such as Campaigns, Industry Codes, Fuel and Meter Integration, Labor Certifications, Maintenance Alerts, Meter History and Warranty Recovery.
- Allows organizations to consolidate multiple asset management solutions for fleet, facilities, production and IT assets into a single platform and database.
- Provides a standards based, Java 2 Enterprise Edition (J2EE) certified platform that is Service Oriented Architecture (SOA) enabled.
- Supports compliance with government regulatory requirements and helps achieve service level agreements (SLA).
- Aligns with the business needs and provides a greater fit out-of-the-box.
- Lowers total cost of ownership for IT departments while providing a common platform for all EAM users.
- Easy to use and easy to learn solutions that integrate easily with other SOA applications.
- Allows organizations to track regulatory compliance of assets.